Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First Haircut

It's funny how, as a parent, you have certain expectations. I had this fantasy that getting Bryce his first haircut was going to be a special, enjoyable event. I knew he wouldn't sit still long but I thought he would be fascinated by the new setting, the mirrors, the chair and the "superman" drape. I had the camera and an envelope ready for the first pieces of hair to take home.

Then reality sets in.

The haircut started out with my fantasy. . .Bryce was in a great mood and he was fascinated by everything. But then my hairdresser started to cut his hair. It wasn't long before he was crying and then sobbing. He hated it when the scissors got near him. We would stop, distract him with something and he'd calm down. But if those scissors came near his head, especially his ears, he would get soo upset again. My hairdresser finally finished his hair while I distracted him with a candle and the blow dryer. It's not the most even hair cut but at least we finished.

Later, I realized that the reason he probably got so upset was that the scissors may have reminded him of getting his ears checked. Since he had an ear infection a few weeks ago, he has had his ears checked frequently and he always screams at the doctors office. Let's hope he learns a new association to scissors. . otherwise.. . .he may just have to have long hair!

Here is the one picture I took after the haircut.

No comments: